The Human Rights Research and Education Centre is pleased to partner with the Faculty of Law, Common Law & Civil Law Sections, the Office of International Research at the University of Ottawa, the Canadian Council on International Law and Fulbright Canada to present:
The More, the Merrier: Can Inclusive Governance Advance Rights in Global Value Chains?
Competing claims of national interest in the global arena are a symptom of the weakness of prevailing systems to coordinate the impact of transnational value chains with local and international institutions and norms. In the world of work, this governance gap contributes to abusive working conditions, unsafe workplaces, and precarious livelihoods.
Professor Diller will argue that inclusive ‘communities of governance’ hold a potential to help leverage existing systems of law and practice to advance rights and social justice in the global economy. Emerging evidence suggests that consensual regulatory processes in which government engages with representative private actors at local and transnational levels can also help coordinate transnational interactions with national and international law and institutions.
Professor Diller will present her ongoing research into the diverse dynamics and outcomes of transnational cases in which she was closely involved as former counsel for the International Labor Organization, including the Rana Plaza Arrangement.
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
5 to 6:30 p.m.
DESMARAIS Building | DMS4101
(55 Laurier Avenue East, University of Ottawa)
All are welcome.
- John PACKER | Director, Human Rights Research and Education Centre & Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa
- Michael HAWES | Chief Executive Officer, Fulbright Canada
SESSION CHAIR AND MODERATOR
- Penelope SIMONS | Associate Professor and Vice-Dean Research, Faculty of Law, Common Law Section, University of Ottawa
- Janelle DILLER | Fulbright Research Chair on Human Rights and Social Justice 2019-2020, Human Rights Research and Education Centre, University of Ottawa
- Adelle BLACKETT | Professor of Law & Canada Research Chair in Transnational Labour Law & Development, Faculty of Law, McGill University
- Stepan WOOD | Professor & Canada Research Chair in Law, Society and Sustainability & Director of the Centre for Law and the Environment, Peter A. Allard School of Law, The University of British Columbia (by videoconference)
- Céline LÉVESQUE | President, Canadian Council on International Law (CCIL) & Full Professor, Faculty of Law, Civil Law Section, University of Ottawa