The Human Rights Research and Education Centre is pleased to partner with
the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) to present a virtual book launch series:
The Corporate Citizen & COVID-19 - Session #4
Session #4: Investor-State Dispute Settlement
Thursday, November 19, 2020
1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
ONLINE | ZOOM Webinar
Event in English. | Free and open to all.
Last event of a four-part virtual panel series organized to highlight the publication of CIGI’s newest book edited by HRREC member Oonagh E. FITZGERALD, Corporate Citizen : New Perspectives on the Globalized Rule of Law. This book explores the legal frameworks and standards of conduct for multinational corporations.
This session provides an update on the work being undertaken by key international organizations such as UNCITRAL, UNCTAD, ICSID and international investment arbitration centres, to address the growing concern of public sector, civil society and Indigenous communities about Investor-State Dispute Settlement. Expert panelists will discuss progress and pitfalls in recent arbitration awards and in this policy review process. They will consider the reactions of the Investor-State Arbitration community to government interventions in national economies aimed at shifting to a low carbon economy and slowing the spread of COVID-19.
- Meg KINNEAR | Secretary-General, International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- The Honourable Ian BINNIE | Former Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada
- Charles-Emmanuel CÔTÉ | Full Professor, Faculty of Law, Université Laval
- Larry Phillip (Phil) FONTAINE, OC, OM | National Chief of AFN, activist, advisor on Indigenous relations
- Penelope SIMONS | Associate Professor & Vice Dean Research, Faculty of Law, Common Law Section, University of Ottawa
- Anthony VANDUZER | Hyman Soloway Chair in Business and Trade Law & Full Professor, Faculty of Law, Common Law Section, University of Ottawa