DESCRIPTION OF THE COMPETITION:
The Gordon F. Henderson Post-Doctoral Scholarship is offered to a researcher with a promising and innovative research project which falls within the mandate of the Human Rights Research and Education Centre (HRREC) at the University of Ottawa and who will benefit from developing that project at the HRREC. Multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches to the proposed research project will be given preference.
CONDITIONS OF THE COMPETITION:
- Will have obtained a doctoral degree no more than five years prior to December 31st, 2018 and will have presented his/her thesis by April 30th 2018. Candidates who have obtained their doctorate from the University of Ottawa or through a joint degree programme with the University of Ottawa are not eligible for this competition;
- Agrees to work at the HRREC for the full period of the scholarship;
- Agrees to contribute to the development and scholarly activities of the HRREC by engaging in an original research programme which is distinct from the research he or she has previously undertaken.
The scholarship competition is open to both Canadian citizens and non-citizens. Foreign Candidates must demonstrate that they are likely to obtain permission to reside in Canada for the period of one year.
The scholarship totaling CAD$42,000 will be paid according to terms to be agreed between the post-doctoral fellow and the HRREC. A research fund of CAD$5,000 will be made available to the post-doctoral fellow for use during the period of tenure. For information on the policies and administrative rules applicable to post-doctoral fellows at the University of Ottawa, please visit the Faculty of Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies website.
- In case of unforeseeable delay in taking up the Fellowship on September 1st, the stipend will be awarded pro rata.
- The Gordon F. Henderson Post-Doctoral Fellowship award does not cover travel costs of the recipient (to Ottawa or return to the Fellow’s place of origin).
HOW TO APPLY:
The candidate should send the following documents (in English or French) to Viviana Fernandez, Assistant Director of the HRREC:
- A brief cover letter;
- An up-to-date C.V.;
- A five-page summary of his or her doctoral thesis;
- The written comments of the thesis examination committee;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- A five-page research proposal describing the post-doctoral project and its objectives.
March 15, 2018
DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIP:
September 2018 - August 2019.